PicMonkey Fearless Photo Enhancement
PicMonkey was created by several former Picnik engineers and it offers a simple and easy to use tool for editing photos. Even if Picnik was still around (Google closed Picnik in 2012), PicMonkey would be a great alternative!
This web-based editor is fast and effective and the cleanest interface for a photo editor (web or desktop) that I've come across. In the left-hand column you see all of your options. That includes everything from basics likes cropping and rotating to a full array of air-brushing edits. In Picnik style, you can add icons and text and throw a frame around a photo. Basic edits consist of crop, resize, rotate, as well as color tweaking and sharpening. There is also an auto adjust button much like the one that was among Picnik's top features. PicMonkey has reduced the number of options that are free versus those you have to pay for, so it may also be worth some of the other 100% free options shown below.
I have provided an example of my first impressions. I took one picture and started testing out features. I like how clean and simple the edit screen is - these adjustments only took me seconds. The first thing I always did in Picnik was select "auto adjust" to see what changes the software thought were needed in my photo. From this first auto adjust to 3 more advanced customizations (all with text created in PicMonkey) you can see these features in action.
Great Ways to Display Collage Photos
Creating FaceBook Cover Photo in PicMonkey
Areas that PicMonkey needs to work on
- File saving - you can only save files to your computer. No online storage.
- File formats - you can only save in .jpg format.
- Missing traditional open, file, save, print - While I love the interface, it oddly is missing a traditional approach to opening files, saving files. This seems a bit disconcerting at times.
- Social Media - The ability to bring it photos from Facebook, Flickr, Twitter etc. and then send the edited photos back to those services.
Top 6 reasons to PicMonkey
- Free - It is free! A premium version is available, but the free version gives you plenty to work with!
- Picnik Like - If you liked Picnik, you will like PicMonkey. You might even like it more! Though, if you were a real Picnik die hard you also need to check out Ribbet.com.
- Ease of use - All the options are easy to find on the left menus. No searching for features.
- Clean and uncluttered feel - Kind of a companion to ease of use. But no pop-ups, no ads, no clutter.
- No registration required - It is so simple to try!
- Constant enhancement - I think the best is yet to come!
How many of you take pictures with your digital camera, load them on the computer and then print without editing? With many tools like Photoshop, editing takes time. But PicMonkey offers many features that are fast and easy to use!
Auto adjust, Colors, Sharpen, Resize, Rotate, Exposure, Crop
Yester-color, Lomo, Infrared, Focal Black and White, Focal Pixelate, Focal Zoom, Film Grain, Posterize, Gritty, Burst, Fancy Focus, Cross Process, Boost, Soften, Holga, Tint, Warhol, Focal Soften, Sepia, Black and White, HDR, Cinerama
Spray Tan, Lip Tint, Red-eye Remover, Weight Loss, Blush Boost, Eye Brighten, Mascara, Eye Tint, Clone, Blemish Fix, Airbrush, Wrinkle Remover, Shine Reduce, Teeth Whiten
Symbols, Geometric, Hearts, Lips, Sunglasses, Floral, Daisies, Stars, Comic Bubbles, Butterflies, Arrows, Emoticons
Drop Shadow, Museum Matte, Rounded Corners, Simple Edge, Polaroid
FotoFlexer Photo Editor
Text, Frames, Stickers and More
- is a solid photo editor with a great track record. Great for newbies, but unique features like:
- Enhance image color and lighting. Add Different color effects.
- Twirl, bulge, pinch, stretch, squish: Bulge muscles, trim waist-size, turn a frown into a smile, and more.
- Re-color hair or skin with only three clicks.
- Animate: add text, speech bubbles, bug-eyes, pointy ears, devil horns, and more.
- Export/Import your pictures from Flickr, MySpace, Picasa, and Facebook.
- Fix red eye, fix blemishes, smooth wrinkles
- Easily cut people/objects out without having to trace their outline.
PicMonkey Tutorial - See how easy and fun it is to use PicMonkey
ImagChef Photo Effects - Cook Up Some Great Photos
ImageChef has a ton of great photo effects. They range from Tree Carvings, to Tattoos to Word Mosaics and frames, animations, id cards, photo frames, sketchpads, license plates and much much more. The free versions have either limited resolution or watermarks on the images so you have to pay for the best resolution versions. Prices are reasonable, but most people make find they can get great use out of the free ImageChef options.
Other Great Photo Editors Similar to PicMonkey
Blingee - Put the Bling Into Boring Photos
Blingee thinks that traditional photos are boring and offers great ways to great images, collages, graphics and animations that add color and flavor to bland photos. Blingee is about simple to use tools to create your own masterpieces that express your own ideas, feelings, and emotions!
Photoshop Express is a free web based version of Photoshop - the best photo editing software on the marketing. Photoshop has been so so successful that many people use Photoshop as a generic term for photo editing..
This completely free version is obviously less featured than the full version of the expensive Photoshop software - you certainly don't get all the bells and whistles. That said you won't miss many of the exotic features as this web version is targeted at mainstream consumers, not photo editing professionals. Photoshop Express has fewer silly features like bug eyes and goo faces - but if you want to get into changing colors of just one object, removing objects and other advanced editing techniques this is a great intro to the Photoshop world.
Picmonkey Facebook App
Fotor Photo Editor
Fotor is a photo editing web application that's suitable for people, especially Windows 8 users, looking for an easy to use and affordable photo editor. Fotor sports a Windows 8 interface and allows you to your photos a wide range of looks, to add fancy borders, to create a collage or simply fix some imperfections, Fotor is free to use so long as your browser runs Flash. Fotor's clean interface sports a dual pane toolbar on the left with thumbnails of all the photos (you can upload many at once) for your session on the right and your editing workspace in the middle of the screen. From this basic interface you have access to a full range of free photo editing tools. With Picmonkey starting to charge for certain services, editors like Fotor will probably see more traffic.
For when you are working offline, Fotor also has companion apps for the iPhone/iPad, the Android and Windows 8 so you can and use Fotor across many devices
Picadilo Photo Editor
Picadilo is a free online photo editor that's easy to use and powerful. You can transform your photos using eye catching effects, versatile editing tools and a nice range of textures. Some of the best features are the photo mosaic and the ability to use multiple windows - commonly available in only much more expensive photo editors. You can let your creativity run free by loading more than one photo and working on them side by side. You can even select and copy regions from one photograph to another photograph.
How to Whiten Teeth with PicMonkey
Professional Photo Enhancement
I love editing photos, but when you have the photos say from a wedding, a reunion or a graduation you might want a professional touch. Tucia can add a person into a family portrait or remove an unwanted stranger from your photo. They can digitally open up closed eyes or fix hair. They can also offer glamorize and digital cosmetic enhancement options - get a tan, clear acne or remove braces. Simple touch-ups such as digital camera mark or red eye removal and cropping are also available.
Great Error Messages - PicMonkey attitude in action
Last updated on October 4, 2014
You can help the HubPages community highlight top quality content by ranking this article up or down.